I laced up, ran down the driveway, did a few miles of easy warm up...
and stalled a bit..
before running a set of intervals.
Intervals. Oh, how I have missed you!
The lung-burning, leg thrusting, arm pumping kind of workout that leaves you with no doubt that you are ALIVE.
The usual drama was there:
- the need to unlayer, to strip off all the extra clutter- water bottles, the shirt tied around my waist.
- the watch that beeps "low battery" , causing you to reconsider if any of the workout will go into the log
- the bathroom stop(s).
- the cars passing by with students going to school.
- short, but really slow recoveries
- the BIG feeling of satisfaction, knowing I still have "it" even if "it" is not the same pace "it" was during my 5k training a year ago. Practice will change that.
- the feeling of being spent, but not over-spent.
Something to start with, anyway :)
All things considered, it was a good first session back.
I rat at my pace goal, but my heart rate was lower than it should be for 3k-5k paced running. That leaves me thinking I need a few things:
- another max test and resting heart rate check, and
- to get familiar with being uncomfortable again. (shorten and speed up the recovery jogs)
I forgot how much I love this stuff!
Intervals: Love 'em or hate 'em?
Do you have interval drama too? If so, tell me about it!